Different start gates for individual pilots

Home Forums FS Support Different start gates for individual pilots

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tim
    Participant

<p>Is it possible to setup start gates that are only usable by some of the pilots? </p>
    <p>The Forbes HG competition is coming up. Being a towing competition it is difficult to get all pilots to the start gate at the same time. Last year the task committee made a rule that the top 20 pilots had a mandatory single start gate. All other pilots could take either the mandatory start gate or 1 earlier or 2 later start gates.
    </p>

ste

With current version of FS:

Since it is only 20 pilots I suppose it is possible to check these manually.

I suppose most of them might get the correct mandatory start gate by FS.

Then for those not getting the mandatory start gate you need to take some action.

Those starting too early should either get 0 distance or some penalty (jump the gun…).

For those taking a later start gate I suppose you can just change the start time manually to the mandatory start gate time.

Stein-Tore

tim
    Participant

Hi Stein-Tore,

Thanks for your help.

I tried this out. I see I can manually set a start time to force a pilot to one of the preset start gates. Once I manually set a start time it appears to lock in the lead coefficient so I should not force start gates until all the pilots’ track logs have been analysed and the final lead coefficients have been calculated.

Now for the second part of my question. To cope with the difficulties of pilots in the top 20 being excessively late for the mandatory start gate (eg tug breakdowns) the following rule has been proposed.

Currently the penalty for reaching a start gate late is the time by which the pilot is late is added to their elapsed time (which is done simply by using the start gate time as their start time). It is proposed that this penalty be capped at (30 – current rank) minutes for the top 20 pilots. (Pilot 1 has a 29 minute cap, pilot 20 has a 10 minute cap). Outside the top 20, pilots do not have a cap, but do have later start gates.  This cap is to be applied by altering the start time of the pilot and leaving the arrival time as the actual pilot’s arrival time.

Hopefully most of the pilots would not get to their cap. However, if they did we would need to setup a preset start gate for each pilot that did and then ensure that none of the other pilots now accidentally were scored to this new start gate. Is it possible to set a manual start gate for only one pilot.

Tim

ste

hmmmm …

I think I see the issue, need to consider.

Stein-Tore

tim
    Participant

Thanks Stein-Tore,

Looks like Forbes is not going to use Mandatory start gates. However, I think it would be useful to be able to manually set a startgate time for an individual pilot without that startgate time being applied to all other pilots starting just after it.

If it was possible to set an individual pilot’s startgate time, then fs wouldn’t need to implement the complications of rules such as the Mandatory Start Gate rule above.

Tim

ste

See http://fs.fai.org/ticket/146

Stein-Tore

ste

A question regarding this:

In FS any scoring formula basically works with the information present in the FsTaskDefinition element and FsFlightData elements.

So in this case I’ve added a new optional attribute, “start_gate”, to the FsFlightData element.

Then it is upto the scoring formula to use this or not.

As it is now, this is a feature of a specific scoring formula (OZGAP2005V1).

Should this sort of information be regarded as a feature of the scoring formula (as I’ve made it now)?

Or should any scoring formula use this information (“start_gate” attribute of FsFlightData element) if it is present?

Stein-Tore

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.