GAP – min dist and min distance points given …

Home Forums FS General GAP – min dist and min distance points given …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ste

<p>(assuming Day Quality (DQ) = 1.0)</p>
    <p>What should be the distance points given to pilots flying less than minimum distance (min dist)?</p>
    <p>As it is now this is very dependent on the min dist setting compared to the best distance flown in the task.</p>
    <p>If min dist is 10km and best distance flown is 20km the min dist pilots will get roughly half the distance points of the best pilot.</p>
    <p>If min dist is 2km and best distance flown is 20km the min dist pilots will get roughly 1/10th the distance points of the best pilot.</p>
    <p>Min dist is meant to be the distance anyone could get jumping of the hill and not doing much else and is used to discourage pilots from pushing it when they’ve not actually gotten on course.</p>
    <p>So is it reasonable that one can get several hundres of points just for jumping of the hill?</p>
    <p>Also when normalizing tasks for use in league results one often get cases where those having min dist get very high distance points compared to those who’ve actually done some real flying.</p>
    <p>I think the distance points should be a ratio of distance flown compared to best distance where one first subtract min distance. This would give distance points ranging from 0 (or possibly 50 or 100 points) …</p>
    <p>Stein-Tore
    </p>

Oyvind Ellefsen
    Participant

I’d say the task setting is not very good if DQ=1 and the best pilot has flown 20km..

It’s only the normalization that is the problem, and this has nothing to do with min distance. I think it’s not a good thing to normalize GAP points, as the points are given from the quality of the day, and quite accurately reflect the quality of the task.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.