Race to Nowhere tasks

Home Forums FS Support Race to Nowhere tasks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cappiuk
    Participant

<p>Hi,</p>
    <p>I’m a British pilot and in the UK the weather and the size of the hills often make task setting challenging. One of the ways we overcome this is the use the "race to nowhere" task. A typical task of this sort, say, a 5km start cylinder centred on launch. The task distance might be set at 90km, and the pilot, once started, has to travel 90km away from the launch in any direction.</p>
    <p>The reason this task might be used is if conditions are weak and the task committee want to give the pilots the freedom to choose the best route to achieving the distance depending upon the weather and how it develops.</p>
    <p>Here is my question:</p>
    <p>Obviously for this task, the finish for a pilot is the FIRST TIME he crosses the 90km cylinder. For safety reasons, he might chose to fly back into the cylinder to find a place to land – there might not be safe landing options outside the cylinder where he happened to cross.</p>
    <p>If I try to setup this task in FsComp, and I set a 5km cylinder radius for the start of the speed and a 90km cylinder radius for the end of the speed section, will the program disregard anything after the first crossing of the 90km cylinder?</p>
    <p>Do I manually need to chop the track log after the first crossing to prevent the program from scoring the pilot to the LAST TIME he crosses the 90km cylinder?</p>
    <p>I am aware that this is a task that is useful in the UK and not particularly relevant elsewhere. There might not be a huge need for this task to be catered for in scoring programs used primarily in bigger condition. But, it would be good to have this task setup in FsComp.</p>
    <p>Steve
    </p>

Oyvind Ellefsen
    Participant

Hi!

We fly race to nowhere tasks in Norway too, we use it in combination with an open distance competition, where a part of the overall cup is based on timepoints from the race to nowhere, while the comp itself is scored by distance only.

If you set the 90km cyl to be ES (End of Speedsection) it will calculate the speed from the first crossing. Did you test it with a tracklog that cross back after exiting?

Best regards,
    Oyvind Ellefsen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.