Arrival Time Points and Arrival Position Points

Home Forums FS Support Arrival Time Points and Arrival Position Points

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cappiuk
    Participant

<p>Hi,</p>
    <p>We recently had a competition where a task was scored with arrival time points. We have always used arrival position points in the past. When we noticed, the scoring options were changed and the task re-scored.</p>
    <p>Comparing the 2 sets of results, it was clear that the total number of arrival points available were different between the 2. That is, the first pilot to goal had a different number of arrival points in each case.</p>
    <p>My understanding is that the maximum arrival points are determined by the % of pilots reaching goal, with the first into goal getting the maximum and all others in goal getting a share of that maximum determined by either their arrival position or time.</p>
    <p>Since % of pilots into goal was the same each time, I would expect the arrival points for the first into goal to stay the same, but the arrival points for the rest of the pilots at goal to change.</p>
    <p>Can anyone explain what is happening here?</p>
    <p>Regards</p>
    <p>Steve
    </p>

akaralar
    Participant

I’m not sure about this but I think it might have to do with nominal time and nominal goal. When you set arrival position, it calculates the arrival points based on nominal goal, but when you use arrival time, it calculates the points based on nominal time.

By the way, using time points and arrival time points makes use of time points twice in the formula, which I think is not rational. Or am I wrong? What’s your motivation to use both time points and arrival time points?

Cappiuk
    Participant

Akaralar,

That would make sense about the calculation, but can anyone show me the formula for how the points are calculated?

You’re right that using time points and arrival time points uses time twice. That’s why we don’t do that. I was correcting the error by the scorer when I noticed the difference in arrival points using the 2 methods.

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.