Infinite Goal Lines

Home Forums FS Support Infinite Goal Lines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RAS
    Participant

<p>Hello</p>
    <p>I have been running a local Comp in Canungra, Australia for about 5 years (2 a year, 10 tasks per comp). I have scored using RACE and verified using Tim Cumming’s “Race Tracker” which, like FS calculates to the inside of the cylinder. Our Comp is a “friendly” Sunday series in which we use FTV to deduct 30% of validity, that way you do not need to enter every task to be the winner.</p>
    <p>I wish to start using FS, pilots already download their track using GpsDump at home and send me an IGC file. I am testing FS (or more correctly I am working out how to use it) by running old tasks through FS. I like the way I can import my pilot database from RACE and that I can easily convert the IGC files back to KML file and get the correct file name using GpsDump and the pilot database. I am going to use the pilots HGFA number as their pilot ID.</p>
    <p>I have found a problem when setting long goal lines. I often use “infinite” goal lines when setting tasks. This allows pilots to keep going on the good days but still leaving a realistic challenge for most pilots. The first issue I found was FS would not let me set a goal line longer than the last leg, no big deal as a line that long is not usually necessary. There was no issue or difference to “Race Tracker” for pilots that crossed the goal line but there is for pilots that landed short. I found that as I increased the length of the goal line the distance flown by pilots that landed short decreased. On the test I have done so far a pilot that landed 3.5 km short on a 42.3 km task is shown as only flying 7km when the goal line is 35km, this distance increases as I decrease the length of the goal line. In this particular case the landing positson was quite close to coarse line. Race Tracked does have a problem with infinite goal lines as it calculates the distance short of goal as being from landing position to the goal centre. If a pilot landed just short of the goal line but several KM from the goal centre I would have to calculated the distance manually. I do not understand what FS is doing. Am I doing something wrong or does FS have a problem with long goal lines.</p>
    <p>I would include a print out from both RACE and FS but I am not sure how to attach a file to this forum.</p>
    <p>On a different note, can you enter Lat and Long landing positions into FS? I have not found that yet.</p>
    <p>Regards</p>
    <p>Rod Stead<br />
    Sunday Winter 2008
    </p>

Oyvind Ellefsen
    Participant

Hi!

Files can only be attached to a ticket at the moment, or you can put the file online somewhere else and link from this forum. (I’m moving this forum and trac to a new server and newer versions, we should be able to upload files to the forum in the new version)

As for the infinite goal line – Stein Tore needs to answer this. Maybe you can use the “Race to nowhere” task type, where ES is exit from a large cylinder?

– Oyvind

RAS
    Participant

Thanks, I will try that. I put this request up as a ticket and attachted the task results.

Rod Stead

Oyvind Ellefsen
    Participant

Fixed in 1.2.9

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.